Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Spin

There is lying, and then there is “spin”. Spin is when one over-accentuates a small piece of a given situation that is true to support one’s position while intentionally de-emphasizing the less savory aspects of current events. Two years ago I blamed the shortage of Copper River Salmon on a truck hitting a moose in the Yukon Territory while the larger truth was I sold everything I had to someone else for more money. Spin is ever-present in politics (see: “supply-side economics”, “I didn’t inhale” and “WMDs”. It is also extremely prevalent in advertising; we’re all used to it. No one thinks twice when Pontiac advertises its new car with all kinds of superlatives; we all know it’s going to be a piece of crap. But this time the car business has gone too far. I heard this on an ad for the local Hummer dealership:

“And your H2 and H3 Hummers run on the least expensive gas at the pump… REGULAR!!!”

To imply vehicles that get 10 MPG and 15 MPG respectively are fuel savers is more than egregious.

It’s an outrage.

4 Comments:

Blogger Humbaba said...

I constantly see them pushing the H3 as getting 20mpg.

You do have to admit, a lot of cars these days ask for 92 octane instead of 87.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Fishpimp said...

Statistics are from Edmonds.com

My Nissan Murano asks for 92, but the company will only pay for 87, so guess what she gets. Everything runs fine. It's a lighter truck with a smaller, better tuned (more HP & Torque) engine with a CVT transmission and it gets 19 MPG. No way any H3 does better on the gas. Of course it is a chick car...so I guess I have to deal with that.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Ady said...

that's hilarious, that they are advertising the H3 based on cheaper gas. Whatever. Like if you can afford the H3, do you reall give a shit how much gas costs?

I got another free van a couple days ago. Runs. Kewl.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Fishpimp said...

Shocking as it may seem, the H3 runs about the same price as a Honda Accord.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home