Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Unfortunate Names

From time to time we all run into people who’s names make us wonder what they/their parents are/were thinking. Dick Butkis is prime example. I had a teacher in junior High who’s name was Dick Bone. Come to think of it, anyone who goes by ‘Dick’, I wonder about. A few years ago we had a fellow from Canada call inquiring about halibut pricing with a very interesting surname. He & his wife apparently decided to take each other’s names and he now goes by ‘Massive-Ball’. Another customer growing up couldn’t wait to get married and drop her maiden name: Cox. Unfortunately she fell in love with a guy who set her up for an embarrassing wedding announcement in the paper: “Loving, Cox to Wed”
We had another one walk into the building yesterday. His name wasn't so embarrassing, but it's a head-scratcher none-the-less. Now, despite being academically trained to create and interpret stereotypes (read: sociology major), I strive to avoid racial profiling, but what’s a poor white boy to do when a Mexican walks into your office and says “Hello, my name is Edgar Spik.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Edgar Spik said...


Your training to interpret stereotypes should be reviewed. I'm not Mexican. I'm from Argentina. You could answer. . . Where are you from?

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.
Correction:Your training to interpret stereotypes should be reviewed. I'm not Mexican. I'm from Argentina. You could ask. . . Where are you from?

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home