Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, November 17, 2005

An Alarming Trend

One of the first things I noticed when I joined Team Dead-Fish-In-A-Box was that every man in the sales office over the age of 40 had been divorced at least once. Two or three were on their third marriage. I couldn't help but wonder if the work had anything to do with the demise of these relationships. After a while I forgot about it. About two years ago a new rep was brought onboard who was in his early 40's and still married. This fellow had been in the business since the early 80's; I thought maybe it isn't the industry, perhaps it was by chance all these men had failed in marriage. Unfortunately, on Tuesday we found out that the trend was continuing: his wife is leaving him. It's an awful thing to see happen to someone I really care about; I can't imagine the pain one goes through when a spouse of 14 years just splits.

I don't honestly think that if I were to work at the fishhouse for another 10 years Mrs. Fishpimp would leave me. On the other hand I'd rather not give it a chance to come to "fruitation" as Simon says. It turns out that the timing of the whole thing - the continuation of this trend - really helped solidify a recent decision I made:

An few minutes after hearing this awful news I gave my two weeks notice.

Part of me feels like I'm deserting a friend when he needs all the support he can get. But in the grand scheme of things, I'm glad to be moving on. It's time. So come December I'll be pimping uniform sales and rentals; but there will always be a little part of me that stays there. No matter what I do or where I go, I'll always have a little fishpimp in me.

I just hope it's not the part that smells like dead fish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home