Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 16, 2005

Where did the summer go?

It’s slow in seafood-land. Winter came very early this year. I remember years when it was busy all the way into late October. One of Simon’s favorite sayings is “when the frost is on the pumpkin the salmon turns pale.” Well, the salmon turned pale in August this year. Uff Da! Almost every account I’ve talked to this week has asked “is it just me, or is it quiet everywhere?” Yes, yes it is.

On top of all that, after working Sunday-Thursday for the past 18 months I’m back to a Monday-Friday shift. Fridays are far and away the slowest day of the week. We have very limited service on Saturdays, so there aren’t a lot of calls to be made. It’s a good day to catch up on paperwork, or, as the case may be, the weblog.

I’ve had an eventful week or two, but nothing worth an entire post so here are the highlights in bullet-point form:

  • Looked at a house in Greenwood listed as 3 bed with a possibility of 4. It had two tiny bedrooms, one in the basement, which had 6’ ceilings, and the possibility of one in the unfinished attic. Agents need to be more honest about what they’re selling; they’d move houses faster that way.
  • The dog couldn’t stop chewing on his tail, so he got the cone. He’s miserable; he keeps bumping into things and freaking himself out. On the good side, out TV reception is fantastic all of a sudden.
  • We’re doing the Kirkland Triathlon this weekend. I was going to do it by myself, but I strained a calf muscle and had to quit running. I shanghaied my wife to run and talked a friend who swam competitively in college to take the aquatic leg. So all I have to do is ride the bike 14 miles and I still get a t-shirt and a medal. Yeehaw!
  • Yesterday was Mexican Independence Day. We celebrated with tacos at Casa Corona.
  • My uncle who did his Masters at UC Berkley was in town for the game last weekend. He was a good sport and didn’t gloat; it was good to see him.
  • Mrs. Fishpimp has been working on a rhubarb crisp for 4 days now. She picked & cut the rhubarb on Tuesday, had to run an after-hours errand for work on Wednesday, got the topping started yesterday, but we went to see the aforementioned house and it was never finished. Maybe, if I get lucky, I’ll get some rhubarb tonight. I love rhubarb.
  • Simon offered this pearl of wisdom regarding Katrina: ”This is a case study in how shit happens. It’s a perfect example of how the government gets f*cked up! The walls go up, people get used to it – it works. Then, all of a sudden, agencies aren’t talking to each other and they can’t find a hurricane.”

Have a great weekend, y’all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home