Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Pod Lounger
 
I'd like to tell you all about my main Cambodian, Sokhim. He's the guy who makes all us sales guys look good. He's the James Brown of Seafood - the hardest working man in the fishbiz. I'm not kidding - he's freakin' relentless. Last December, when we picked up a ton of new business from a major retailer, and I was freaking out, not knowing how on Earth we were going to be able to manage all those phone calls, he stepped up and made it happen. In fact, most days he had it all cleaned up two hours early!

He's the prototypical young Asian male: He eats the Pho, idolizes Ichiro, wears the baggies, and he drives a soup'd-up Honda. He's always looking for new ways to pimp his ride. He's also got a thing for the I-pod - I-pod ads up on his desk, religiously surfing the I-pod fan-sites (hence his nickname - Pod Lounger), hoarding away his cash-money (so the girlfriend couldn't trace it) for weeks to buy one, then driving 50 miles to go pick it up.

But down at the Apple store in Seattle he was PROFILED! That's right my peoples, denied service 'cause he's brown! It is an OUTRAGE! Then again, it happens every day. I can hear the profiling when he's on the phone selling the fish. Several times a week I hear this coming from Sokie's cubicle:

"Hi, this is Sokhim at the House of Fish...Sokhim...S-O-K-H-I-M...S-O-K- what? Yes, that really is my name...your sorry?...What do you mean it's weird, that's my name!"

Poor Sokajawea.

Where is the love?
Where is the justice?
Where's Johnnie Cochran when you really need him?!


Mayby he should just change his name to Paul.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home