Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, April 03, 2006

Remember Two Things

Now that my shed has a concrete floor I can start putting my shop together. So instead of going for a bike ride Sunday afternoon I went to Home Depot to purchase supplies for the construction of my new workbench. In the process I learned two things:

#1: Do no go to Home Depot on Sunday afternoon to buy lumber – by that time it’s all been picked over. I needed 5 2x4x10’. There were only a handful left, and they were all crap – split, warped, & bent like hockey sticks. I had to go to 8-footers to find some descent wood.

#2: When using plans found on the internet from a British site be sure to double-check the conversions from metric to standard. I don’t think the author took into account the finished dimensions of American lumber (i.e. a 2x4 is only 1 5/8ths by 3 5/8ths). I shortened up the length of the bolts I bought, but they were still too long. D’ah! And when I found out and tried to back the first bolt out I cracked the board in half!

Frustrated, I chucked it all the width of the back yard and went inside to pour myself a glass of the new whiskey I bought on Saturday. Evan Williams Single Barrel – it’s the smoothest bourbon I’ve ever had. Too bad the state liquor stores are discontinuing it.

So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

6 Comments:

Blogger Humbaba said...

If you want decent lumber, go to Dunn.

Evan Williams is a nice bourbon, but I suspect it can't compete for sales with the fancier ones. I'll stick with Maker's Mark for price/performance in the bourbon category, and Blanton's if price be damned.

Now that my life is more normal again, we should go out for a drink sometime. I've still never been to the Barking Dog.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Fishpimp said...

I haven't developed a taste for Maker's, it's a nice bourbon, but I'll spend the extra $3 for the Gentleman Jack. I have a hard time putting down more than $25 for a bottle of hooch - which, unfortunately, is why yo uwon't see any single malts in my cashe.

Ah, the barking dog. Indeed.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Humbaba said...

I must admit to a vast preference for peat in my whiskey. I'll take a dram of mediocre scotch over a fine bourbon any day.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl Spackler: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

10:33 AM  
Blogger JFlaming said...

Thanks, Clay, I was trying to figure out where that line came from. Should have known with Johnny's recent Zissou-rennaisance that it would be Caddyshack.
In other news, am I the only one that finds the word verifications at the bottom of these comment pages difficult? It's like a consciousness-altered version of the driver's license vision test. I've failed this one twice.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Fishpimp said...

It's better than getting blog-spam.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home