Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, October 17, 2005

The Fishpimp Strikes Back

I’ve got Montezuma under control now, and I learned a valuable lesson in the process: don't trust my wife's medical advise; just because her father is a doctor doesn't mean that she is. When everything started getting "loose" on Friday I sought her counsel. She's Peace Corps vet, ought to know about this sort of thing - heck, the volunteer newsletter in her country was called "The Salmonass" a thinly veiled reference to the gastro-intestinal acclimatization most volunteers go through upon arrival. She told me not to take Imodium, rather to let the bug run it’s course – let my body expel the baddies by itself. So after 48 hours of dehydration & attempted rehydration I finally asked Dr. Father-in-law for his medical opinion.

“Well, first of all try some Imodium…”

Nice.

Everything is all shored up now – stuff works like a charm. I’m tempted to be upset with her, but the upside of being sick all weekend was that I got to watch about four times as much football as usual. It also got me out of having to start packing up the house for our upcoming move. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

I suppose the real question is: what is the Peace Corps teaching their staffs about these types of infections? Gotta love government medicine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home