Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Two reasons why the middle class is shrinking

Here’s another scintillating conversation I had with a local grocery store:

“It’s a great day at XXXX. How may I help you?” (I hate that greeting. Is there anything more contrived than that?)
“Hi, Seafood department please.”
“Please hold.”
New Person “Deli!”
“Hi, I asked for the seafood department.”
“Well you got the Deli” (You don’t say…)
“Yes I did, but I need to talk to the Seafood department.”
“Well why did she send you to me?”
“I swear I don’t know, sweetheart, but can you transfer me? I really need to talk to the Seafood department.”
“I know, but this is the Deli!”
“You know what? I’ll just call back.”

Which brings me to my next rant:

I went to visit a store we service who was having a grand re-opening (which is a funny concept, since they never closed). They were staffed to the gills. There were demos on every aisle. They were giving away DVD players every 5 minutes. You couldn't walk 5 feet without running into a store employee, heck, there were 15 people in the meat department alone! But when I got to the deli to order me up a sammich I found only one woman. Fortunately, thought I, there was only one person in front of me who happened to be a store employee on a break. Fifteen minutes later the lady is just finishing up the guys sandwich – not sandwiches – just one sandwich – and I’ve heard them give away 3 DVD players. Seconds earlier, the guy behind me decided to cut bait and go to Kidd Valley. I mentioned to the fella in front up me what a well-staffed event they were putting on, and suggested they get some extra help in the deli, seeing as how it was 10:45 and the lunch crowd was soon to arrive. He clearly stated that most of the demo folks were non-union, and therefore, not allowed behind the counter.

“Do you think the guy in line here who just walked out the door cared if they were in a union or not?” I asked him. “I bet he’s going to get a sandwich at Wal-Mart!”

Now, I’m no Wal-Mart fan either, but, honestly, nothing gets my dander up quite like the union mentality. And the icing on this chocolate Rage-berry cake: Not only did it take her 25 minutes to make two sandwiches, but right after the slow sandwich lady finished Jimmy Hoffa III’s lunch she, without even acknowledging me shouts to the lady at the Chinese food station “Hey! I’m going to lunch! Somebody’s gonna have to get over here to do this!” Talk about the epitome of the union stereotype: work slowly and take lots of breaks, especially at inconvenient times.

I bet she’s complaining about the latest contract and how she’s now got a $5 co-pay to get her eyes laziked!

It’s been a tough week, folks. I’ll be flinging wide the doors to yon liquor cabinet when I get home. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home