Dead Fish in a Box

The chronicles of a suburban fishpimp trying to keep it rural.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Value Subtracted

I got a new guitar amp for my birthday last year and have been having all kinds of fun making noise in the basement. Now that I've had a chance to play through my gear for a couple months I've decided that a couple of the effects pedals I bought initially aren't exactly what I want. So in a time-honored tradition I'm looking to swap some gear.

I listed them on craigslist (overdrive/distortion, Chorus). I got an email two hours later from a dude in Poulsbo (across Puget Sound) who stated that if I was to take an hour an a half of my time, buy a $6 ferry ticket to Kingston he would gladly meet me at the ferry and buy the pedal from 30% less than I'm currently asking.

So here's the breakdown:

Initial sale price: $100
Discount to $70: -$30
Ferry ticket: -$6
90 minutes of my life: -$45

Net profit: $19.

Did I mention that it's barely used and it retails for $180? I thanked him for his creativity, and informed him I could get more money trading it in on the product I actually want to own and save myself that $51 in opportunity cost.

He told me I drive a hard bargain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Humbaba said...

Most people don't think to value their time.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home